Saturday, March 1, 2008

{Below is a recent email sent out requesting prayer for Omar Nuwayhid and his family}

Dear friends and family,

I am writing to bring you an urgent need within our seminary community. I can't even begin to imagine what God is doing in the Nuwayhid family but they need your prayers more than ever.

I have written to many of you in the past concerning the struggles of Joseph, the youngest Nuwayhid son. Joseph is 4 years old and has been fighting cancer as long as we have been in Orlando. He continues to suffer as he goes through his latest round of extremely aggressive chemo treatments. It is hard to imagine how one so young can stand up to the intensity of what he has to go through but God has been good and Joseph continues to troop along.

What we have recently found out is that it is very likely that Joseph's father and my classmate, Omar, has ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease. While this is not certain yet, it appears that all signs are all pointing to this.



There is much to pray for here as you can imagine. In addition to the list of prayer requests at the bottom of this email I ask you to pray for God's comfort and assurance for this family that they would rest in the arms of their Savior and His sovereignty in all this.

This is also a reminder that we all need the Gospel. The gospel not only gives us assurance that our sins are forgiven but also that we have hope for this life as well as the life to come. The Apostle Peter calls this a "living hope" that is secured through the resurrection of Jesus Christ and the Apostle Paul makes it clear that this hope will not disappoint.

1 Peter 1:3-7 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! By his great mercy he gave us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, that is, into an inheritance imperishable, undefiled, and unfading. It is reserved in heaven for you, who by God's power are protected through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. This brings you great joy, although you may have to suffer for a short time in various trials. Such trials show the proven character of your faith, which is much more valuable than gold — gold that is tested by fire, even though it is passing away — and will bring praise and glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.

Romans 5:3-5 Not only this, but we also rejoice in sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance, character, and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Please join me as I lift them up in prayer to our loving Father - the Author of this hope.

Thank you,
Rob


----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Omar Nuwayhid
Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 5:05:59 PM
Subject: plea for miracle for Omar

Dear Family:

Greetings in Christ.

I wanted to update you on my own personal heath.

This is a very difficult e-mail to write at a time where my son, Joseph, is undergoing a trial of his own with the aggressive chemotherapy treatments.

But, at the same time I need prayer now more than ever.

I have completed all the tests that the orthopaedic surgeon had ordered. Today, the surgeon reviewed all the findings with me. The atrophy and nerve damage in my right leg, and the spread to my left leg and arms is NOT being caused by my herniated discs according to the data from the diagnostic tests (MRI, EMG, nerve conduction).

Therefore, the orthopaedic surgeon asked me to immediately seek a neurologist, because the data coming from the diagnostic tests is showing indication that a motor neuron disease (also called ALS or commonly called Lou Gehrig's disease) is likely to be causing all of this. My father died in 2004 with Lou Gehrig's disease.

This is not an official diagnosis since I have yet to see a neurologist to confirm these findings, but the seriousness of the data is alarming enough to cry out for prayer and to plead for a miracle.

Please pray:

1) that God would send me to the right neurologist for me to see that is skilled in this area
2) that there would be a correct diagnosis with the ability to be treated.
3) that the diagnosis would be something simple and treatable.
4) that God would be merciful and bring healing and restore that which is damaged.

It seems unreal to us right now. Our hearts are heavy enough with Joseph, and this added thing just seems to be overwhelming for all of us.

I know your prayers are effective and God is glorified through them. I humbly ask you to walk with me in prayer through this. I need you and I covet your prayers.

With my loving gratitude to you,

Omar

No comments: